Is my child seriously ill?

Parents generally tend to consider their child more unwell than GPs and use different factors to judge symptom severity, according to researchers at the University of Bristol’s Centre for Academic Primary Care in a study published in the British Journal of General Practice. Respiratory infections are the commonest reason parents take children to see their GP. Disagreement between parents and […]

Continue reading »

Rob Delaney Reveals Birth of Fourth Child — 7 Months After Death of Son

Catastrophe actor Rob Delaney and his wife, Leah, recently revealed that they welcomed their fourth child — a son — in August, only seven months after the devastating loss of their 2-year-old, Henry, who died from brain cancer. This December, Delaney told the U.K.’s The Sunday Times Magazine, “We likely would’ve had a fourth anyway. But I mean, there’s mixed feelings. It’s […]

Continue reading »

How to comfort a child whose sibling has died

In 1971, when I was four years old, my brother died of a congenital heart condition. Writing about this experience has prompted more responses than anything else I’ve ever written or spoken about. Untold and unheard stories appear in comments sections, strangers tell me cross-culturally consistent tales in the soft corners of conference rooms and speak about the siblings they’ve […]

Continue reading »

Child protection investigations can silence children and offer impunity to abusers

The child protection investigation system in the UK is not fit for purpose. Despite high profile child abuse cases in Rochdale, Rotherham and Telford, lessons are not being learned and the failings of those investigations are being repeated. The Interim Report of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse found that two thirds of adults do not feel comfortable discussing […]

Continue reading »

Button batteries kill—here’s how we can prevent needless child deaths from battery ingestion

In 2013, four-year-old Summer Steer died from acute blood loss several days after swallowing a button battery. She hadn’t told her family she’d swallowed anything, so they didn’t know what was wrong. At least not until the caustic reaction caused by the battery, which had lodged in her oesophagus, ate through to her aorta. She presented to hospital with a […]

Continue reading »
1 2 3